NickiMayoNews | Washington, D.C./Baltimore, MD
NickiMayoNews.com Multimedia Journalist | June 2014 – Present
- Westwood One Radio Washington, D.C. bureau News Editor;
- Philadelphia’s 900AM WURD “Reality Check with Charles Ellison” political analyst/contributor;
- NPR Next Generation Radio Social Media Instructor for 2017 WHYY-Philadelphia Team;
- Cheverly STEM Education Center instructing 15-30 homeschoolers with presentations, internet radio podcasts and a print/online student newspaper; and
- TV One’s “Fatal Attraction” and “Justice By Any Means” Reporter covering national true crime stories.
— — — PAST NickiMayoNews PROJECTS INCLUDE — — —
- Associated Press Radio Network National AP Correspondent covering world and national news;
- TV One’s News One Now Segment Producer covering news impacting the Pan-African Diaspora;
- WAMU 88.5 (NPR) Weekend Host anchoring NPR programming in Washington, D.C. ;
- 1430 WNAV Anchor/Reporter covering news from Annapolis, Baltimore and the greater Washington, D.C. region; and
- American Heart & Stroke Association Baltimore Producer creating public service announcement videos.
Associated Press | Washington, D.C.
Radio National Correspondent | Jun 2014 – March 2017
- National reporter covering world and national news for AP audio clients;
- Delivered wraps and correspondent Q&A reports for AP PrimeCuts customers;
- Developed an original podcast series while contributing to the AP Race, Culture and Ethnicity reporting team; and
- Covered major U.S. events including the 2016 Presidential elections, 2014 Midterm elections, Black Lives Matter investigations and more.
The List | Baltimore, MD
Baltimore Correspondent/Multimedia Journalist | June 2012 – June 2014
• Served as news, entertainment and pop-culture reporter covering the Baltimore/D.C. metropolitan area;
• Shot, wrote, and edited daily segments for local broadcast;
• Posted five to 10 Maryland-based news and entertainment stories to foster social media engagement averaging:
150 – 2,000 hits per Facebook post, 10 – 20 Twitter retweets and favorites, 10 – 20 Instagram likes and comments and up to 10 likes per post on LinkedIn;
• Volunteered and emceed community events and panels as an ambassador for “The List,” ABC2 and E.W. Scripps
• Helped launch E.W. Scripps Company’s national news and entertainment magazine September 17, 2012.
AOL/Patch.com | Crofton, MD
Local Editor/Multimedia Journalist| February 2011 – January 2012
• Served as website manager and reporter covering Crofton and Gambrills, Md.;
• Shot, wrote, edited and posted between five and seven daily community news stories on topics including new
business, crime, school issues, Crofton town hall and Anne Arundel County Council;
• Managed staff of 10 freelance journalists and six bloggers;
• Developed social media strategy to increase user engagement using community bloggers, Facebook and Twitter;
• Used Aol’s content management system to upload stories and video to Crofton Patch website.
YNN Buffalo (24 Hour TV News) | Buffalo, NY
Reporter | Multimedia Journalist | Fill-In Anchor | March 2009 – February 2011
• Shot, wrote and edited stories on-air and online;
• Updated daily professional news blog, Facebook and Twitter accounts;
• Covered Buffalo and Niagara City Hall beats, along with the 2010 New York State gubernatorial election; and
• Helped launch Time Warner Cable’s 24-hour news station on March 25, 2009, in Western New York.
WJHL Tricities.com – CBS | Tri-Cities TN/VA
Morning Live Reporter | Multimedia Journalist | Website Content Coordinator| November 2007 – February 2009
• Delivered on location live shots for 5, 5:30, 6, 6:30 and noon newscasts.
• Updated website with computer-assisted reporting research, and viewer videos and photos using the Media
General content management system;
• Reported/produced multimedia “365 Project: Mapping Tri-Cities Black History” using Google Maps to trace
Appalachian African-American landmarks and milestones; and
• Covered NASCAR Bristol Motor Speedway Sharpe and Food City races from the pit and stands.
SNN News 6 (24 Hour News) – New York Times | Sarasota, FL
Reporter | Wheel Producer | October 2006 – November 2007
• Covered Charlotte County regional beat on stories including Punta Gorda brush fires, beach safety, and senior
• Delivered on-location live shots for 5, 5:30 and 6 evening newscasts; and
• Served as dayside 24-hour wheel producer for 5, 5:30, 6, 10 and 11 p.m. live newscasts.
CTV 76 | (Prince George’s County, MD)
Reporter | Line Producer | July 2005 – October 2006
Freelance Reporter | December 2001 – July 2005
• Line produced 5 p.m. newscasts for a community television station;
• Covered Maryland statehouse and Prince George’s County Council political beats;
• Covered 2006 Ehrlich/O’Malley Maryland gubernatorial and Johnson/Baker Prince George’s County executive
• Moderated an elections panel and interviewed 40 Prince George’s County 2006 School Board candidates.
Prince George’s County Public Schools | Springdale, MD
Charles Flowers High School English Teacher – Journalism, Speech & Yearbook | April 2004 – July 2005
• Instructed 120 English elective students in four speech, one journalism and yearbook classes;
• Reestablished The Jaguar Gazette student newspaper and e-newsletter as faculty advisor; and
• Recipient of Washington Post “Newspaper in Education Advisor” and “Grant in Education” funding.
Black Entertainment Television | Washington D.C.)| May 2000 – March 2004
BET Nightly News w/ Jacque Reid, BET Tonight with Ed Gordon, BET Tonight with Tavis Smiley, and Lead Story Washington bureau producer | April 2003 – March 2004
Production Assistant | June 2001 – February 2002
News Intern | May 2000 – August 2000
• Served as special projects producer for 2004 “Road to the White House” Bush/Kerry presidential election
coverage during Iowa and South Carolina caucuses;
• Worked as assignment editor and field producer for BET News’ Washington bureau;
• Covered the Congressional Black Caucus political beat;
• Assisted with around-the-clock 9/11 coverage of Pentagon attack and aftermath;
• Helped handle 2000 Bush/Gore presidential election coverage; and
• Answered viewer emails and call-ins during live nightly national public affairs show.
WJZ TV 13 CBS| Baltimore, MD
Associate Producer | Writer | February 2002 – February 2003
• Overnight writer for “Don & Marty” Morning Edition News and Weekend Morning Edition; and
• Dayside writer for 5, 5:30, 6 & 11 p.m. newscasts.
WAER-FM National Public Radio | Syracuse, NY
Reporter | September 1997 – May 2001
• Live and general assignment reporter for National Public Radio member station covering Central New York
community affairs and politics.